brood

brood
the only time these feet are still

Thursday, April 14, 2011

A name...

What's in a name?  Well in this family A LOT. (read: RULES).  With 3 little cherubs already in the family, I am finding it harder and harder to find a name for #6.  See with each kid, we thought long and hard about a name, see below for further details :)  Anyway, so we have been trying to agree on a name for #6 and haven't found one.  We are of course, very happy with the name he comes with, and it will remain part of his name.  I guess we just feel that we should also contribute a piece of his name....so to work we go!
Here are some of the ridiculous, insane, impossible rules I like to apply to name picking:
1) not too common
2) not too short
3) no names with "built in" nickname i.e. Christopher or Michael
4) Cannot begin with the same letter as any other C kid
5) Shouldn't end with the same letter/sound as any other C kid
6) has a strong meaning

...on a side note, I do not necessarily have anything against names that have a "built in" nickname.  I in fact have one of those names.  The deal is from day 1 my parents called me the nickname, and so the original name is somewhat foreign to me.  There is nothing wrong with it (in fact it is quite beautiful) but it never felt like it was ME.  So, I just decided if I picked a name, I would use that name.  In S's case, his mother never called him by the nickname, but that doesn't stop people from shortening it.  Sometimes, people will call him by the nickname and I will think "who are they talking about? I don't know anyone named that???"  Then I realize!  DUH!  So between the 2 of us, we felt pretty strongly about that!!  Plus, if you know us, we are a tad neurotic!!! just a tad, really!!!

Sooo, if anyone wants, please feel free to make some suggestions.  Here are the letters to avoid: T, P, D, and end sounds of y, n, and r.  Easy peasy, right?!?!?!?!?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here were some of my favorites before we settled on (read: i won the name battle!) our son's name: caleb, micah, elliott, lucas, callum, and jonah.
    naming a child is SO hard! i love my son's name, but after it was settled, i found myself second-guessing a bit...but don't tell my husband that! :)

    p.s. that last comment was me too -- it signed me in from a different email address, so i deleted it -- i'm a tad neurotic, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking as someone who had MANY naming rules, I totally respect all of yours :) Hopefully, I'll come up with one for you. If you pick mine, do I win a prize :)

    (This is Lisa BTW)

    ReplyDelete