brood

brood
the only time these feet are still

Monday, November 12, 2012

Halloween and other events

Of course I mean to get to this much sooner than actually happens.  I have good intention of writing a nice post about all the things I am thankful for.  Many of my friends on FB have been posting their daily "thankfulness" and I decided that I would do just that, but not every day.  So there I have set myself up for at least one more post in November.

Now for a little recap of our comings and goings recently.  Of course HM got to celebrate his first Halloween.  I can't say it was his new favorite holiday but he didn't seem to loath it either.  HM was a tiger, and quite an adorable one at that.  S. Korea does not celebrate Halloween, so I wanted to be sure to give him a little space to figure out all these crazy kids in ridiculous costumes.  As for the rest of the clan, T was "Elvira", P was Captain America and D was a butterfly.  I must say I thought they were quite the adorable group of misfits.  We did our dutiful trick or treating with almost all of the children on our street, which further proves my belief that I live on the best street in the world.  More about that in the next post!!!

We also had a kid Halloween party.  This is something I have done several times over the last 8 Halloweens that I have been a parent.  I always think it sounds like an easy task, then find my self exhausted when it is over.  But I won't stop.  I love to see the joy on my kids faces as they play games with their friends and all the costumed children running around. 

Cheerleading ended and my squad rocked their routine for the exhibition!  I had had my doubts, but somehow the pressure of hundreds and hundreds people helped them pull it off.  T really enjoyed cheerleading, and that both pained me and brought me such joy.  She really is quite capable of learning a routine and hold a rhythm.  I want her to pursue whatever she loves, and right now it appears to be cheerleading. 

In the HM department, language seems to be moving along.  He is babbling a lot, which seems like the right direction.  He has some new words and certainly seems interested in learning more.  He is still receiving speech twice a month and I am seeing improvements.  I am still surprised by how much he comprehends and at the same time, how much he can ignore that which he understands when he wants to.  He definitely appreciates the duties of a 2 year old.  We are still working on using "gentle hands" as daycare calls it.

This weekend I was dusting and cleaning and trying to take advantage of the beautiful weather.  HM got 2 photo albums from his foster family when we picked him up.  I brought them down from the shelf and he began to look through them.  He saw several pictures of his foster mom and immediately said "Mom Mommy" (what he calls me).  I was glad to see how quickly he recognized her and remembered who she was in his life.  He regularly sees her picture on our fridge but doesn't seem to pay that much attention. 

The other thing I found interesting with HM was his language shift.  We try to use some Korean words yet we do speak English mostly (obviously).  I said "An Nyoung" (hi) to him and he replied "HI!"  Part of me felt sad that he doesn't say An Nyoung but knows it is HI.  It certainly reminds me of the loss of culture that inherently happens with adoption.  At the same time, I love that he can make the connection and know that they mean the same thing.

WOW, lots of babbling.  This year is flying by and I cannot believe Thanksgiving is merely weeks away.  Ahh, soon we will bide a farewell to 2012 and hello to 2013.  Crazy, time moves so fast!




 ok some pictures....the best part!

No comments:

Post a Comment